Are you having issues like swollen red gums, which a very sensitive followed by bad breath all the time? Bleeding sore gums indicate gum disease. Medically it is called Gingivitis. It should be taken care of in the early stages otherwise it can potentially become a serious issue and turn into periodontitis.
The gum disease starts to take roots when the gum hygiene is not properly taken care of. Along with poor health, there are other factors which have a significant role in giving you this disease. These factors include smoking, diabetes, poor nutrition, stress, genetic predisposition and certain medications.
Here are ten easy to do at home remedy which can help decrease the intensity of gum disease. The best thing about these remedies is that all of these items are readily available.
First things first, anyone with Gingivitis (commonly known as Gum Diseases) should pay attention to excellent oral hygiene which includes brushing especially before bed and also should consider using mouthwash to improve the effect of following remedies.
This method comes from ancient times from Indian medicine. It has anti-inflammatory properties as it helps reduces the toxins from gums and removes the bad breath.
• Take one tablespoon of sesame oil
• Swish it through your teeth for 15 minutes
• Rinse thoroughly using water
• Do this every day for one month for best results.
The chemical name of salt is Sodium Chloride, and it’s the chloride molecules present which we know have cleansing properties. Mixing some salt in warm water and using it to rinse is one of the easiest, a straightforward and efficient method to reduce inflammation and bacteria.
• Mix one tablespoon in a glass of warm water
• Use all the solution swishing one sip at a time for few seconds
• For best results do this after brushing.
Tea bags, particularly of black tea, have tannic acid present in them, which is very effective anti-oxidant and can help reduce the pain and gum infections.
• Put a tea bag in hot water for 10 minutes like when you use it to make tea.
• Take it out of the water and press on the affected area for 5 minutes.
• Use regularly to heal the gum infection.
This tea has antiseptic properties. Using this prevents the germ buildups in gums and helps to reduce any inflammation related to gum disease.
• Add one tablespoon of chamomile flowers in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes.
• Let it cool after straining it.
• Use this solution as mouthwash three times a day for best results.
If the gum disease is at a stage where you have pain in gums, this method is best suited for you as Aloe Vera has healing properties and is used to reduce pain. There are several ways to use it and following is one of them:
• Take a small quantity of gel and massage on your gums.
• Or, leave it in gums for half an hour then rinse.
• Or, swish some of the gel around in the mouth and spit it.
• Or, drink one tablespoon twice a day.
Note: do not drink more than three tablespoons per day.
By a research published in 2008 in Australian Dental Journal, gum bleeding and inflammation can be significantly reduced by using tea tree oil because of its antibiotic properties. This method can provide quick relief from irritated gums.
• Put a drop of oil on toothpaste and brush
• Use this method twice a day for several weeks
Note: Do no swallow the oil.
With its astringent, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, Myrrh is widely recommended for oral hygiene. It is most effective against sore gums.
• Ten drops of tincture in a cup of warm water
• Or, few drops in salt water
• Use this to rinse your mouth
• Use this method several times a day
The fragrance of coconut oil helps in reducing the bad breath. Using it with baking soda neutralize the acids as the baking soda is a weak base. The mixture has antibacterial properties.
• Make a paste by mixing two tablespoons of baking soda and coconut oil
• Use this as toothpaste twice a week
Less vitamin C intake leads to weak immune system. Cranberry juice is rich in vitamin C and recommendations are to drink 4 ounces daily. It is a powerful antioxidant and helps fight many diseases.
Fruits, which are rich in vitamin C help, prevent bacteria from getting stuck in your gums and teeth. Dentists recommend using fruits like Grapefruits, Oranges, Blueberries, Strawberries, Grapes and other eatables like broccoli and red pepper to the patients of gum diseases.